2017-08-07

r/hotwheels August Car Show

r/hotwheels on Reddit wants to have an August Car Show. The premise is simple: throw up the photo of your favorite Hot Wheels car. But who can pick just one? How about one of the many that could be picked because they are special cars done in a special way -- for example, anything with Spectraflame? Or executions of a favorite model -- say the Subaru SRX STi? And I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite Ferrari 250 GTO (although lets be honest, the red one would probably win).

But no, I picked this one -- the Pikes Peak Celica from 2000. Not a segment series; not an exclusive; not a Pop Culture; not even a first edition. A mainline casting that makes up the numbers for the year.

Pikes Peak Celica
2000 Mainline #166
I picked this car because this is the car that started it all back in 2000, when I picked it up in a Canadian Tire during Christmas shopping. We were looking for something for Jenn's cousins, who were small children at the time, and something about this made me pick it up. And from there, all the hundreds of others have followed.


It is a little beat up since it has been in the collection the longest -- and, I'll be honest, I played with it too. But that's what they are there for, isn't it? To be opened, handled, played with, displayed, and enjoyed. Sure, there are an extremely low number of cars that I'd leave in the packaging, but if it came to that I'd probably pass on acquiring the car in the first place.


And then I discovered that the only photo I had of this car was a single 640x480 photo from 2001. Somehow, after all these years, this car had never been treated to a proper photo session. I hope we've rectified that oversight somewhat today.


After that, I made it my mission to collect as many of these cars as I could. My interest is such that for a long time the majority of the photos on the Hot Wheels Wikia page for the Pikes Peak Celica were from me. Even today, many of those photos are on the CollectHW page. And I'm close -- I know that I'm missing the Exclusive from the 2011 Team Hot Wheels Commemorative 20-pack; and once, I saw an eBay listing for a 2004 Mainline that had glossy paint instead of the flat paint that mine has. Not sure if that one actually exists or if it was a listing error or some kind of fraud. I even have one that appears to be some kind of engineering mule for the 2006 mainline car that was shipped to me from Malaysia. It may also be a fake; but I have it now, so I'm going to keep it.


So, happy August Car Show to my r/hotwheels friends, and happy collecting to all for now and the future.