2017-05-16

#1: Top Ten Things I Found in A Ten-Pack


And so, at long last, we end the top ten series with the top position, the anchor, the main reason for buying this particular 10-Pack. I give you the Ford Focus RS.

Ford Focus RS
2017 Mainline #079
I really like the previous one I got, I liked it so much that I ended up buying a second one for the desk at the office. The car is really reminiscent of my 1:1 scale 2010 Mazda 3 that I drive every day, so I was keen to get more examples of this casting.

The rest of the 2017 Mainlines have been almost criminally absent here in Ottawa -- seriously, all the Walmarts are still grinding down what's left of the December pre-Christmas dump or just rocking completely empty mainline peg boards along with stuffed Fast&Furious or Track Day peg warmers. Toys'R'Us got some in February and then some more just in the last week as I write this, but still there are a large, large number of cases that we'll just never see here in Ottawa. If anything, the Dollaramas are currently working their way through a newer case than what Walmart has. Usually there's a drought after Christmas while the stores do inventory, but this year's drought has been on the epic side. So this might well be the only way to get this particular car.

And generally I don't buy 10-packs. I'll buy 5-packs for one car, but 10-packs are more expensive so I need them to have more than one or two cars that I want. For this 10-pack the cars I wanted were this one, yesterday's 911, and the Scion that ended up free-falling to 8th place on the list. I also didn't want a lot of fantasy cars, and most 10-packs seem to have a 50/50 split in terms of fantasy/licensed models. This 10-pack had only 2 fantasy models which is exceptionally good.


This particular model has some nice design work on the tampos, but lacks the headlight tamps which make the car work. The white paint also brings out some of the flaws in the modelling, as seen in the front left corner, above. The red ring rim on the wheels is nice, too.


And I'll conclude by saying that it wasn't until I saw this picture above that I realized the casting had the RS badge on the rear hatch. Really nice detail.

So that's the multipack I bought in Cambridge. What did you think of this feature? Is it something I should do again in the future? Is anyone out there? Is this thing on? Bueller?